5th Meeting of African Union Ministers Responsible for Gender and Women’s Affairs, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 8-14 May 2013
When : May 8th -14th 2013
Venue: New African Union Conference Centre- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Who: Organized by the Directorate of Women, Gender and Development of the African Union Commission (AUC)
Participants: The meeting will be attended by the AU Ministers of Gender and Women’s Affairs, their experts, and invited participants.
The meeting will be expected to adopt the different reports, consider the outputs from various committees and approve projects under the Theme of “Agriculture and Food Security”.
The Ministers meeting will among other things consider and adopt the Report of the Meeting of Experts which will focus on Agenda items 1 to 5 as follows:
1. Reflect on Pan- Africanism and African Renaissance as the theme of the OAU/ AU 50th anniversary and make contribution as well as influence and shape the vision of the AU- wide strategic plan and the Union’s 2063 development agenda;
2. Discuss the Commemoration of the 10th anniversary of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa on 11 July 2013;
3. Consider an Annual High Level Panel on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment to create space for women scholars, researches, academia, and gender experts to discourse emerging issues (e.g. High Level Panel on Peace and Security which convenes annually in October);
4. Consider strategies for enhancing the capacity of women, their visibility and resourcing them effectively to incorporate a multi-dimensional gender mainstreaming approach on the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa; and gender budgeting;
5. Consider and approve projects for the African Women’s Decade (AWD) 2012 theme, as well as collaboration with UN Women at country level in strengthening the AWD National Coordinating Committees.
Journalists are invited to cover the event at the African Union headquarters.