6 Natural Remedies For Ovarian Cysts
Ovarian cysts are pockets of liquid or fluid-filled sacs that develop within or on the surface of one or both of a woman’s ovaries. Cysts usually develop from the scar left behind after the ovary sheds off the egg shortly before the start of menstrual flow. Most women will develop at least one cyst at some point in their lives.
However if your cyst has been diagnosed to be harmless, but still causing abnormal symptoms, here are the top home remedies for ovarian cysts
Heat is said to be quite effective in reducing muscle cramps or pain in the abdomen due to ovarian cysts.
1. Put a heating pad or hot water bottle on your abdomen and lower pelvic area.
2. Do this for at least 15 minutes.
3. Follow this remedy whenever you experience pain in the abdomen for quick relief.
2. Castor Oil Pack
Castor oil packs are an age-old remedy for ovarian cysts. Castor oil clears the body of excess tissues and toxins. It also stimulates the lymphatic and circulatory systems, which helps reduce and dissolve ovarian cysts.
1. Fold a large flannel cloth to make it two or three layers thick. Make sure the folded cloth is large enough to cover your entire abdomen.
2. Drizzle about two tablespoons of castor oil on the cloth. Fold the cloth in half to saturate and then unfold it.
3. Lay down with an old towel under you and put the flannel cloth on your abdomen.
4. Cover the castor oil cloth with plastic and then with an old towel.
5. Place a hot water bottle over the towel and then cover yourself in a warm blanket.
6. Leave the castor oil pack on for at least 30 minutes and then remove it.
7. Repeat the process about three times a week for three months.
To remove oil from the skin after using the castor oil pack, you can wash the treated area with a solution of three tablespoons of baking soda mixed in one quart (four cups) of water.
Note: Do not use castor oil packs during menstruation. If you are trying to conceive then do not use this remedy after ovulation.
3. Epsom Salt Bath
An Epsom salt bath will also greatly help reduce pain and other symptoms associated with ovarian cysts. The high magnesium sulfate content in Epsom salt works as a muscle relaxant that in turn eases pain.
1. Add one cup of Epsom salt to your bath tub filled with warm water.
2. Add five to 10 drops of essential oils like lavender, rose or jasmine.
3. Stir for a few minutes so that the salt dissolves.
4. Soak your lower body in this water for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Follow this remedy once daily.
4. Chamomile Tea
Herbal tea like chamomile tea is also considered a good remedy for treating ovarian cysts and the associated pain and discomfort. The gentle sedative effect of chamomile tea will reduce pain and help you to relax. Also, the warm nature of this tea will also help regulate irregular periods by stimulating blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus.
1. Mix two teaspoons of dried chamomile in a cup of hot water.
2. Cover and steep for five minutes.
Strain, add one teaspoon of honey and drink the tea.
3. You can drink two to three cups of chamomile tea daily until you get rid of the problem.
5. Apple Cedar Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can help shrink and dissolve ovarian cysts caused by potassium deficiency. It is high in potassium and recommended by many health experts.
1. Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water.
2. Mix in one tablespoon of black strap molasses.
3. Drink one or two glasses of this solution daily.
4. Follow this remedy until the cysts disappear completely.
This remedy will also help with the symptoms of excessive menstrual bleeding as well as bloating and cramping throughout periods.
Beetroot contains a compound known as betacyanin that boosts the liver’s ability to clear toxins out of your system. Plus, the alkaline nature of beetroot helps balance the acidity in your body. This in turn reduces the severity of many symptoms of ovarian cysts.
1. Mix one-half cup of freshly extracted beetroot juice with one tablespoon each of aloe vera gel and blackstrap molasses.
2. Drink this once daily before eating your breakfast.
3. Follow this remedy daily until your symptoms have reduced.