WIE launched its first symposium in New York City in 2010. Its mission was to provide a platform for this generation’s women leaders to inspire and empower the next generation. WIE Africa is timed to coincide with the World Economic Forum Africa and will showcase the women taking a central role in shaping the Africa of tomorrow.
Panels and workshops will cover topics such as role of technology in media, tackling social perceptions of African women, entrepreneurship and the influx of western brands to the continent. Graça Machel, humanitarian and wife of Nelson Mandela, will close proceedings.
Following the symposium, WIE and the Wellbeing Foundation will host a VIP fundraising dinner to benefit the Graça Machel Trust whose mission is to foster and promote African women’s leadership and contributions in economic, political and social frameworks.
Dee Poku, co-founder and CEO of WIE said, “Africa is the land of opportunity and there are some impressive women seizing that opportunity to launch companies and find innovative solutions to various issues.”
- Humanitarian campaigner Graça Machel;
- Talk show host Felicia Suttle;
- CNN’s Robin Curnow;
- Assoc Media founder Jane Raphaely;
- Wellbeing Foundation President, Toyin Saraki;
- Ferial Hafajee, editor of South Africa’s City Press;
- Elsie Kanza, head of Africa at the World Economic Forum;
- Saran Kaba Jones, founder of FACE Africa;
- Swaady Martin-Leke, founder of Yswara;
- Moipone Buda-Ramtlo, executive director of Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund;
- Rachel Tladi, founder of Uvuko Civils;
- Mojanku Gumbi, former legal advisor to Thabo Mbeki;
- Lukwesa Burak, news presenter for eNCA;
- Patricia Amira, star of the Patricia Show;
- Musician Lindiwe Suttle;
- Couture fashion designer Zizi Cardow;
- LEAP Africa founder, Ndidi Nwuneli
- Marie Claire editor Aspasia Karas
Tickets are US $350 for one day and $570 for two days, awards and gala dinner. For more information, go to www.wienetwork.org.
One thought on “Women’s symposium unites business, art, politics”
This is great