20 Health Benefits Of Bitter Leaf
Bitter leaf which is known as vernonia amygdalina, is a popular herb in the Western part of africa, particularly in Nigeria. It is used in preparing various delicacies like the popular; bitter leaf soup.
It can be found in the different part of the country. While Igbos call it Onugbu, Yorubas call it Ewuro and Hausas call it Shiwaka.
Apart from its culinary purposes, very few people know of its potency in boosting good health and curing some ailments. Here are some health benefits of this vegetable:
1. When blended or properly squeezed to extract the juice some people have used it in detoxifying the body.
2. Bitter leaf juice used by local women in Guinea-Bissau to contract the uterus and after childbirth and should NOT be taken during the first trimester of pregnancy or if you’re trying to conceive, it might cause miscarriage.
3. Want to lose that weight? It has the ability to help in that regard too.
4. The juice prevents malaria sickness due to the presence of Natural Quinine. Regular intake of this bitter leaf juice will prevent malaria sickness
5.It speeds up metabolism and therefore is great for weight loss.
6. Bitter leaf juice relieves fever and feverish conditions. Take the squeezed juice, 3 times daily until the symptoms disappears.
7. It also yield the healing power of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD). The drinking of the bitter leaf juice daily and also squeeze the leaves and paste it on the patches and warts that appear on the skin will vanish in course of days.
8. Its been used in people living with diabetes in that it helps reduce the risk of sudden rise in sugar level in the blood.
9. It is useful for treating of ringworm, eczema and other condition. Gently extracting and pasting regularly, using the fresh juice, have been reported to clear off these skin condition.
10. If can also act as an energy booster. Bitter leaf also stimulates bile and hydrochloric acid production, stimulates nervous and immune system function. Interestingly, it also combats fatigue and exhaustion.
11. The herb has also been reported to have been used in people who had common cold and even pneumonia.
12. Insomnia is an inability to sleep well, take 2 glasses of bitter leaf juice every night. You may add a little honey if you wish.
13. It helps prevent Arthritis or rheumatism in patients. It soothes swollen joints and eradicates the pain.
14. Chewing the tender stem or drinking the juice is a well-known remedy for stomach aches as well as toothaches.
15. It increases the milk production in lactating mothers.
16. It cures cough, helps in treating itching and rashes.
17. It is used in pharmaceutical medicines as anti-helminthes, laxative and fertility inducers- barren women.
18. It helps to build up the immune system.
19. It is a good herb for treating the problem of memory loss and also for curbing Insomnia.
20. If the taste is unbearable for you, you can take it with honey or pineapple. Blending bitter leaf with pumpkin leaf (ugu) can also help reduce its bitterness.
Do you have this plant around you, then you should make use of it more.